Monday, December 29, 2008

Post Christmas Let-Down?

So, Joe and I decided yesterday that the week after Christmas is pretty depressing. It shouldn't be, considering I'm off work and home with the kids, but it's all over. You know what I mean...time to take down the decorations (no, I guess I can't wait until March!), family all goes home and its time to get back to normal life (whatever that means). I haven't started taking down the decorations yet, even though I know I should so I don't have to spend all weekend doing it, but there's just something about leaving it all up a little while longer.

So much for "many updates" during the week of Christmas-I should have known better than to make such a promise! The kids have been busy playing with all their fun Christmas gifts. Kayla just loves the kitchen and MANY baby dolls she got and has spent much time changing their diapers and making us all food to eat. Austin has been playing non-stop with his spiderman and astronaut toys and I'm pretty sure we've seen Wall-E 19 times since Christmas!

On Christmas Eve, Joe's family all came out to his mom's house and we had a big dinner. Joe made a prime rib that was AMAZING! The kids had a great time playing outside and swinging with their cousin. Kayla had on her dress so we could try to take family pictures (which was NOT successful!) and then she didn't want to take it off, so we left it on her for the rest of the day. Even while she was out in the barn with the horses! That night, we put out the cookies and milk, along with some hay for the reindeer, along with special reindeer food and then went to bed...but not really...WE, OF COURSE, WATCHED WALL-E!!!

This is the best family picture we got on Christmas Eve. And, by best, I mean that we're all looking at the camera and no one was crying! The camera was on the wrong setting, though, so the coloring is bad...figures!

This is Kayla running around outside in the barn in her fancy dress...oh well! I guess you only get to be young once, right?!

And, here's Austin playing tag with his cousin in his fancy clothes...

And swinging...


The next morning, we were pleasantly surprised (OK, the kids were!) to see the bikes that had been left for them. Kayla's was really from my grandparents, but it just seemed right to have both bikes out for the kids. Austin also got a painting set, which I may come to regret in the future. Kayla got a nursery center for her babydolls-which has already very much come in handy! The babydolls are all very clean after their baths and are well fed with food from the kitchen!

Austin was pretty excited about his Aggie Football uniform and spent the rest of the day wearing it!

We spent the rest of the week after Christmas before coming back home to visit with my parents for about a day before they left to head back again. Now its time to take it all down and get ready to start all over again. I realized that I have less than 2 weeks to get ready for Kayla's birthday-I realize that she's only turning 2 and that I don't have to do anything big, but I did for Austin's and I'm afraid she'll feel slighted! When am I going to learn?

So, what have I learned this year? Well, here we go

1. Having two kids that have very different personalities tends to drive you crazy-but it sure is fun!
2. Organized sports can be fun even if we "don't keep score"
3. Just because one kid does things one way doesn't mean the other will follow suit!
4. Just because I want to lose weight doesn't mean it will happen!
5. Joining a gym isn't enough...you actually have to go!
6. Having a "biter" isn't the end of the world-I just have to work with her a little more!
7. Kids grow up way too fast and you never take pictures at the times you wish you had!
8. A change in a job (Joe's) to a location much further away will actually give me more time with my husband!
9. Sometimes in an election, good really does come out on top (and I'm not talking about the National election!)
10. Friends and family are one of the most important things in the world and you never keep in touch as much as you wish you would!

I hope you've all had a wonderful holiday season and have as much to be thankful for and look forward to in the new year as we do!

No comments: