Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Voting and Election Burnout

I have a feeling that waiting for this election to be over is going to be much like waiting for Christmas morning to arrive. Everyday seems to drag more and more. I, like much of America, want the Presidential election to be over. However, the election of much more importance to me is that of Brazos County District Attorney. It is somewhat daunting to realize that in two weeks, I may have to be looking for a job. If you know of any DA's offices around Texas that are hiring, please let me know! It is amazing to me the number of people that will vote for someone (especially someone in the position of DA) based solely on their party affiliation. I am as conservative Republican as the next person, but that doesn't mean I'm NEVER going to vote for a Democrat. In fact, I voted for 3 yesterday! I have NEVER had a victim ask me my party affiliation before we go to trial on a case, but apparently that seems to be a big deal to many of these idiots around here. Whatever happened to looking at someone's qualifications (and, frankly, the qualifications of that person's assistants) before making a choice.

I took Austin with me to vote yesterday. He was very excited, although I had to explain to him several times that he couldn't tell people to vote for "Beal" Turner when we went into the courthouse. In fact, I told him not to say a word or we would get in trouble. This was such a change as I have no shame and have been encouraging him to tell people that if "Beal" Turner doesn't in, mommy will lose her job. Like I said, I have no shame! We pulled the little chair right up to the polling booth and I let Austin "mark the boxes" of the people we were voting for. After double (and triple and quadruple) checking to make sure we had IN FACT voted for "Beal" Turner, I let him push the "Cast your ballot" button. He was grinning ear to ear when we walked out of the election room...proudly wearing his "I voted" sticker. When we came up to my office to say hi to everyone, someone asked him who he voted for. He looked at me for permission to tell...I think that's the first time he's EVER listened to me when I've told him not to say anything!

I just got a phone call from the daycare that Kayla bit someone today. I laugh when they call me to tell me that...not because she bit someone, but what do they really think I can do about it when I'm at work and she's there? It has actually been some time since she last bit...apparently she wanted the baby doll more than the other kid! Its so weird to be the parent of the "biter of the class" (as Austin calls her) when I was the parent of the "bitee" with Austin. We talk all the time about how we shouldn't bite and that its not very nice, but it seems that when the moment comes, the only way she can "get what she wants" is to lay her little teeth on the next victim. That does not bode well for us for the future. My question is how, with 3 teachers and 18 kids, they couldn't have gotten to her before it actually happened. Oh well...such is the life of a working mom whose kids are in "gasp" daycare!!

1 comment:

brickmomma said...

I'm gonna vote for Beal, too!